Bit of a long title, but I wanted to show you how I used the Tim Rosette die, in my Cuttlebug, just using the standard plates, rather than the extended ones. As you can see, the die is quite a bit longer than the plates, but when I saw the cost of the extended plates, I figured there had to be a way to use the originals. And it does work, without any real trouble. You can see the die next to my well-worn B plate. The die gives you the rosette and one centre. You need two centres, one for each side, but as one side is not going to be seen, I just used a small circle punch for it, rather than having to cut again.
I used exactly the same sandwich as usual,A, B, Die, Paper, B. one thing I did do, was cut my strips of paper to the length & width of the die- made it easier to add a little low tack tape to one end, and helped me see what I was doing.
I also used up some 8×8 and 6×6 paper pads here- I just taped two pieces side by side, then cut my strips. This also gives you a small cut-off piece you can punch your centres from. I have a few of these pads, and never seem to use them because I usually make cards from an A4 sheet folded, and they are way too small for that. I just used some low-tack tape to hold them together.
Here is the die going through for the first half- just wind all the way through as normal.
Then I lifted the whole stack from the ‘bug, and brought it back to the front of the machine. This bit is the only time it can get tricky, as I found that some paper has a bit of a ‘static cling’ to the plates! So, before you lift off the top B plate, HOLD THE PAPER ONTO THE DIE! Now just slide the die forward so you have the uncut portion on top of your plates, with a bit of an overlap. Gently put your B plate back on top, and run through the machine again to cut the remainder of the strip.
I only had a couple of strips where there was a bit of a jagged cut along the straight edge, and as this bit is in the middle of the rosette, you won’t see it anyway.
Also you can trim down the straight edge, to give you different sized rosettes.
Now came the really tricky bit- assembling the rosette! I used a small piece of double sided tape on one end, then stuck the ends together. All going well so far. Now I had to get the rosette into shape- not too bad, but it kept sproinging back open on me, lol. At this point, to get the top & bottom circle stuck onto the rosette, I tried DST- didn’t hold. You can see one in the top picture with a small acrylic block on it trying to hold it together long enough.
Wet glues didn’t work either, and neither did glue dots.
So out came the silicone glue. The problem was keeping it in shape long enough for it to set.
I found eventually, that if you put a decent sized blob on the bottom circle……………….
……..add the top circle………
..slide across desk to the edge…….
……..and get a clamp onto it quick! These are brilliant little things, they have flat pads on the jaws so they don’t damage your work, and the centre of the rosette is strong enough to take it without squashing.. Best of all, I bought a bag of about a dozen from Poundland!
Here is the rosette, about 20 minutes later, stuck perfectly. I also used silicone glue to attach them to my cards.
A quick thanks here to all of you who suggested a hot glue gun- yes, I do have (at least) one of those lurking around this room somewhere- I shall find it out & give it a new lease of life!